Wednesday, July 15, 2009

The Art of Denial: Bare Feet May Be Offensive to Some People

Throughout my barefooting adventures, I've had a very pleasant experience overall. I've visited numerous retailers unshod without issue and have attended gatherings with family and friends without too many snarky remarks in good fun.

But this last weekend that changed. I was approached by staff at two different establishments and instructed that I needed to wear "shoes."

The first was at my local Walmart. This surprised me because I'd gone in there probably two dozen times totally barefoot and never had an issue. The greeters never said anything to me and no employees ever approached me requesting that I put on footwear. Then I entered the Garden Center entrance. I didn't make it past the bank of registers when a cashier there said I needed shoes. After I asked why, she tried to tell me that it was a "policy" of Walmart's. I told her that I'd been in there more than a dozen times barefoot and that nothing was posted prohibiting bare feet. She said to me that it's posted at the store's main entrances, but I quickly retorted that it's not -- I've looked. To move on past her, and because we had some quick shopping to do, I put on my emergency flip flops (which, oddly enough, I carried in with me for only the first time). After leaving the Garden Center and getting to the section of store in which we needed to shop, I removed my flops and carried on the rest of the trip without incident.

Later on in the weekend we visited the Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art in Kansas City with my brother and his family, who were visiting from out of town. After making it past the "Visitor Services" person (i.e. security guard) at the door, we made our way into the contemporary section of the museum. In the first room another guard approached me and said I'd have to put "shoes" on if I was going to keep looking around. I asked why and was told that it was a "health" issue. I kindly informed the guard that no such health regulations exist. He quickly said he was going to fetch a "supervisor" and walked away. I put my flip flops on and we moved onto the next room of the exhibit. Shortly after that I saw the previous guard with another man who I could only assume was the "supervisor." I motioned him over to me and we had a conversation.

To keep a long story a bit shorter, he informed me that he wouldn't be able to show me before I left their written policy that bare feet aren't allowed but he'd be happy to send it to me later. I asked him why it wasn't posted at the entrance and he informed me that not every policy can be posted. He shared with me that pets aren't allowed but that I didn't see that posted either. I quickly pointed out to him that pets are addressed on the museum Web site, however -- bare feet weren't. I had checked. In the end he tried to tell me that he didn't want to take the risk that other museum goers might be "offended" by me. I held out my hand and asked, "so can someone be offended by that, too?" He said that my claim doesn't follow social "norms." Finally, I reminded him that an art museum's job is often to challenge norms with diverse artwork and that I found it perplexing that their guests weren't allowed to be so diverse. Honestly, if a statue can show its bare feet AND penis (an actual piece at the museum, pictured here), why can't I walk around barefoot?

I'm in the process of writing a letter to the museum sharing my history as a barefooter and asking them to question their policy (or lack thereof). If they choose to reject visitors in bare feet that's certainly their prerogative, but something should be posted.

3 comments:

  1. Sometimes it's best to just put on your flip-flops and carry on, sometimes it's best to question the idiocy.

    I'm with you, I'd put this one it the latter category. I look forward to your follow up post with the museum's response.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Around 1989 or 1990, I went to the Philadelphia Museum of Art, and there were 2 women, appeared to be in their late 20s, walking around the museum for hours barefoot, no shoes with them. One was wearing a long fancy sun dress with makeup and jewelry, her friend had sandals on. The other woman was dressed in denim shorts and a sweat shirt. No one said a word to either one. I guess though going barefoot in a place like that had become rare by then, it was not unheard of and a lot closer to the time when it was common, so the people working there had at least some memories of that time. There were also some other barefoot teenage girls walking around the historic district that day. When I visited that city again several times during the late 1990s and early 2000s, not single person was barefoot anywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Iam a barefooter almost 10 months out of the year.Iam been to Eurka Springs Ark,you will see
    people shoping all over town barefoot.

    ReplyDelete

Related from LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails