Tuesday, April 19, 2011

The Little Runner That Could

Today feels different. Waking up today was different. This morning's short 2-mile barefoot run felt different.

I feel a little bit like The Little Engine That Could when it comes to my running. I've been climbing and climbing this figurative hill trying to get into a rhythm, saying all the while, "I think I'm a runner. I think I'm a runner." Now I actually feel like I'm crossing over the peak and starting on the downhill slope, soon to chant, "I know I'm a runner! I know I'm a runner!"

It's a whole bunch of little changes culminating into one BIG change. Waking up in the morning to go for a run is so much easier than a month ago. Getting everything together for a run in the morning is going quicker. My feet are holding up well for longer and longer runs. Most importantly, the act of running is becoming more "natural" for me. Running is working for me instead of me working for the running. My body is beginning to get into a habit of running that it didn't have before. I've NEVER felt this way, even with all the running I've done so far.

Up until now, running has always just felt like a lot of work. It never felt quite "right." I thought during this morning's run about the words of Micah True, Born to Run's 'Caballo Blanco:' "If it feels like work. You're working too hard."

After this weekend's Trolley Run and this morning's short run, running isn't feeling as much like work anymore. Instead of being something that I do, it's becoming something that I am. Maybe it has to do with that whole concept of developing habits. They say that habits take 30 days to form. I think mine is finally forming, and I look forward to continuing that momentum.

Are you a runner? Have you experienced the same kind of feelings about the sport? If you're a non-runner, have you ever tried and just couldn't get a momentum going? Please leave any comments in the section below.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related from LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails