Our society wrongly believes that shoes are a necessary part of our daily lives. Actually, they provide a breeding ground for bacteria and weaken and misshape our feet. They can cause injury from our ankles up through our spines. Even flip flops alter our natural walking gait and collect bacteria.
All that said, footwear still has its place sometimes. Alternative shoes such as "minimalist" footwear are available to keep feet flexible and strong while offering some protection.
I encourage you to take one "step" out of your comfort zone by going barefoot someplace/sometime that you normally wouldn't.
For much more information, visit The Barefoot Alliance's Website.
Below I've listed what I believe are the "highlights" of my previous posts on living barefoot. I hope that you may find good information and encouragement from them and will further your barefoot journey:
- Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Barefootedness - You have a natural biological freedom to live without shoes. Fight for it!
- Exposing Another Healthy Taboo - What other natural and beneficial activity has seen unnecessary scrutiny - but unlike bare feet is protect by law in most places?
- A Backwards Look at Liability - Who should be liable for injury to our feet: Those who encourage barefoot living or those who make shoes that damage our feet?
- Bare Feet v. 'Barefoot' Shoes: The BIG Difference - It's all about sensation. You feel me?
- When It Comes to Shoes, More Is Less - How much shoe is too much shoe?
- If the Tables Were Turned: Hypothetical Reactions to the New 'Fad' of Shoes - What if we lived in a barefoot world and people started promoting the shod lifestyle?
- 18 Questions to Ask Yourself if You Are Opposed to People Going Barefoot - Really think about the positives and negatives.
- An Interview with a Podiatrist and 'Barefoot Advocate,' Dr. Steve Bloor - He turned his practice upside down after realizing the truth about feet and shoes.
- Reflections on a "Barefoot Book" Tour: An Interview with Author Daniel Howell - Dr. Howell shares some interesting stories about acceptance and total rejection of his bare feet.
- Most Facebook Users Would Go Barefoot in Public: Poll - A statistically significant survey with some surprising numbers.
- Driving Barefoot May Noticeably Improve Gas Mileage - A short study comparing shod v. barefoot driving.