Tuesday, August 4, 2009

I Had a Dream

I had an interesting dream last night -- and am trying to frantically write it down before I forget the details.

The basic premise was that I ran across a meeting of a barefoot-employees group at my work. They met on a regular basis to socialize with each other and talk about their barefooting experiences. My friend Seth, who is not an employee where I work, was also there for some reason. Interestingly enough, they all had footwear on at the meeting.

I was setting up some audio-video equipment for someone to use -- I don't know if it was for them or the next group to have the room -- and listened in as a couple of people talked. What they were saying sounded familiar. It was the same kinds of things that barefooters would talk about, but with veiled language. At one point I stopped them and asked, "Wait, do you all like to go barefoot?" When they replied in the affirmative I told them that I do too. I joined them and took off my shoes and socks. I'm not sure if they wanted me to join them, but I did. More on that later.

I talked about my barefooting experiences. I told them that I drive barefoot, try to be barefoot as much as possible away from work and that I've been barefoot in public many times. I also said that I still feel a bit uncomfortable going barefoot in restaurants. They agreed with that.

Right as I was talking about that I became aware that it was time for the meeting to end. Everybody thanked me for what I'd said and got up to disperse to their respective work locations. Seth and I began to walk out of the room when I realized that I was still barefoot! I sat down and put my shoes back on (because I have to wear them according to policy) and said something to the effect of, "Wow, I'm so used to going barefoot that I don't even think about it when I need to put shoes on." We left and the dream ended.

I got the impression during the whole "meeting" that they knew about me before and never wanted to invite me into the group. I also thought it was interesting that a group of barefooters would leave all of their shoes on during a meeting. In the end, the group seemed very "closeted," trying very hard to hide their existence from me.

Interesting. Anybody want to take a stab at interpreting it? Is it worth interpreting at all?

1 comment:

  1. Interesting dream Michael. There are a couple of things that stick out in my mind after reading your post:

    1. of course, the fact everyone was shod at the "barefooters" meeting

    2. the fact that you forgot you were barefoot when it was time to get back to work

    I think seeing everyone in shoes at the barefooters meeting might have to do with the frustrations we barefootes encounter on a daily basis. These frustrations can range from social barriers towards our own barefooting, to the many excuses we hear from some "closet" barefooters - which end up sabotaging their own potential for a great life experience.

    I think your Forgetting you were barefoot after the meeting has to do with two things we barefooters experience often: 1. actually forgetting we are barefoot after a while because it feels so natural and instinctual, it becomes second nature until someone points it out; and 2. our subconscious desire to be barefoot at all times, including at work!

    Personally, I think it was a fairly revealing dream. I'm inclined to think you might be getting ready to start challenging your work rulings - is it maybe time to start bringing some awareness to "the powers that be" at your office about the benefits of barefooting? Let me know if you want me to tell you about my experience in previous jobs and how I got my employers to come to terms with my bare feet at work.

    Keep 'em bare, keep 'em happy!

    Moe

    ReplyDelete

Related from LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails