Wednesday, December 2, 2009

I Am (Now) a Barefooted Runner!

If you've read anything here or know anything about me, you could easily say that I love to go barefooted. The sensation of grass underfoot. The cool floors in the local Walmart. It's awesome! There has been one "hitch in my giddy-up," however. That's barefooted running.

The heart has been willing but the mind has been weak. Each time I've gotten ready to go out there totally unshod there have been so many excuses not to.

It's too cold.

My feet hurt on the asphalt.

I don't run as fast barefooted.

Whine.

Whine.

Whine.

Now a lot of times I've sucked it up and gone out there unshod. The runs have been pretty good but my feet end up feeling sore and roughened up afterward. I've doubted whether I can keep it up or if I should just resign myself to the fact that I'll be a runner who sticks to Vibram FiveFingers.

After a couple of months of that thinking, I have managed to make a positive turn. I've decided that if so many others can run barefooted exclusively, why can't I? I really do prefer it more. I really do feel like my feet hold up just fine.

So I've decided to be an exclusively barefooted runner. To use a cliche', it feels right on so many levels: physically, mentally and spiritually.

I welcome you to follow my progress on DailyMile.com where I am, surprisingly, BarefootMichael. For quick updates of my latest run, check out the DailyMile widget in the column on the right side of this blog.

Thanks for reading. If you're a fellow DailyMiler, I'd love to be friends with you. Just send me a request on that site. I welcome anyone's comments or questions below.

2 comments:

  1. Go for it! I am the same, maybe the time has come for a concerted effort!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that's it. you just motivated me to get a daily mile page as well.

    ReplyDelete

Related from LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails