Monday, March 15, 2010

18 Questions to Ask Yourself If You are Opposed to People Going Barefoot

If you find yourself offended or turned off by the idea of seeing feet, going barefoot or others going barefoot, honestly ask yourself these questions:

1. All other variables removed (locations, surfaces, shoes, etc.), is there something about human feet that I find objectionable? What is it and why do I feel that way?

2. Do I think of feet to be sweaty, smelly and gross? Why or why not? If so, what makes them that way?

3. Do I believe that feet should be considered a "private" part of our bodies (like genitals & women's breasts)? Why or why not?

4. Would I say that I have "sensitive" feet that keep me from going barefoot? Why or why not? Would I say that I have "sensitive" hands that keep me from going barehanded? Why or why not?

5. Are there times or locations when I believe going barefoot is okay and/or I am more comfortable seeing bare feet? Times/places when not? Where are these places? What changes among them?

6. What are the risks of going barefoot in places where food is sold/served without washing my feet? What are the risks of going into an establishment where food is sold/served without washing my hands?

7. Considering my answers to the last two questions: Would my opinion of going barefoot differ if someone never put on shoes after showering and went out barefoot all day(shopping, eating, etc.)? If so, how would it be different? What if they only wore flip flops?

8. At any given time, which is more likely to be more "dirty?": The sole of a foot or the sole of a shoe? Why?

9. On average, which part of our bodies is more likely to be more exposed to germs and bacteria that can make us ill: hands or feet? Why do I think that?

10. Why do I think that "No Shirt, No Shoes, No Service" policies went into effect? Why do I think that most women don't wear only skirts? How often do I hear that children should be "seen and not heard?"

11. Why don't people wear gloves most of the time but do wear footwear most of the time?

12. Have I ever injured my foot while barefoot? If so, does that affect how often I go barefoot now? Have I ever injured your hand? If so, does that affect how often I go barehanded now? Are there any differences between these two scenarios and if so, what are they?

13. If we lived in a world where almost everyone went barefoot except for select people, who would they be and why would they wear shoes? How would they be treated? What would they be allowed/disallowed to do with shoes on?

14. Do I believe that very young children (babies & toddlers) should wear shoes? Older children? Adults? How do these answers differ and why?

15. If I never wore shoes in my life up to now, do I think my feet would be different? How?

16. Do I think that wearing shoes on a regular basis affects my feet? How?

17. Do I believe that a strong, healthy heart is important? Why or why not? Do I believe that strong, healthy feet are important? Why or why not?

Finally...

18. If I was in a bad vehicular accident and both of my feet were amputated, would I miss them? Why or why not?

I welcome your answers to these questions, additional questions or comments below. (By the way, ever notice that Rodin's "The Thinker" is barefoot? I just did. "Fiya Powa!")

2 comments:

  1. Do any people who are opposed to going barefoot read your blog? Why or why not?

    Seriously... very nice, well-thought-out questions. And pretty much utterly useless. By the time a person has screwed up the courage to actually come harass another human being about something, there is very, very little you can say to dissuade them. They already have a lot of emotional momentum, just because they came up to bark at you about it.

    Consider this: you're in a store, and there's some guy who hasn't showered for probably months. You can smell him from twenty feet away, and you get stuck behind him in line. Do you: Just pretend you can't smell him? Give "subtle" glues, groaning, waving your hand in front of your nose? Actually confront him and tell him he's supposed to take a shower at least once every few days?

    Most of us would do option two. Option one would be chosen by a few very magnanimous people, or people who just don't care about the smell. But if you're either just enough of a jerk, or just so bothered by the smell that you've built up the nerve to actually confront the guy, what can he possibly say to steal that emotional momentum?

    Heh, though funny anecdote, possibly disproving my own theory... I was in Walgreens a few weeks ago, barefoot as usual, when a customer in line in front of me, obviously falling-down drunk, slurred at me, "No shoes no service, man..." I ignored him. He pushed harder, "Seriously, -why- are you barefoot?" "Because I want to be. It's not your business."

    His response: A very surprised (stunned, even), "Really!? Huh!" The cashier apologized when he left, and was blushing bright red, obviously quite embarrassed that another customer so hassled me, a regular.

    ReplyDelete
  2. James,
    The point of the questions is to get people thinking. Sure, people often approach situations from an emotional standpoint. If we can put a "mirror" up to them and help them figure out *why* they have such a problem with bare feet -- and hopefully realize that going barefoot isn't a big deal -- that's a win.

    Contrary to popular belief, this blog doesn't just preach to the converted. I have lots of followers on Twitter and friends on Facebook with whom I communicate. Subject lines like "18 Questions to Ask Yourself If..." are a hook to maybe pull them in and read about something they normally wouldn't otherwise.

    ReplyDelete

Related from LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails