Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Bare Feet Cause Higher Floor-Cleaning Costs?

I recently ran across a curious paragraph in an article reporting on the decision of a library board to uphold their policy prohibiting bare feet. While they predictably chose to continue discrimination against bare feet, one of their reasons for doing so left me scratching my head. The paragraph:
"Board member Jameson Campaigne pointed out he researched the subject, finding that bare feet could increase floor cleaning costs."
REALLY? I've heard the excuse that bare feet make a floor dirtier than shoes -- partially because of our own natural oils that are allegedly transferred from our skin -- but I've never seen that excuse extrapolated out to the costs of cleaning the floors. And where did he research this?

I don't deny that bare feet could deposit dirt or even bodily oils onto the floor, but I hardly believe that there's nearly enough prevalence of barefoot patrons to make this a real problem above and beyond what shoes already do to the floors. In fact, I'd imagine that bare feet generally do less damage to floors because feet are cleaned more regularly and are not as harsh on surfaces like shoes are to carpet.

Honestly, haven't we all seen how faded and worn carpet gets in high-traffic areas of businesses? I know I can see the "tracks" where people regularly walk along the carpeted corridors of my workplace.

Are bare feet a real threat to floors? If so, are there enough potential barefoot patrons to be concerned that they would raise cleaning costs? Sound off and let me know what you think about this being a partial reason for the library board denying patrons without shoes. Please leave your comments in the section below.

Image: Suat Eman / FreeDigitalPhotos.net

5 comments:

  1. The only reason I think someone would make such an ignorant-sounding comment is that he is assuming commercial/public spaces might need to invest more time and money into preventative floor maintenance to ensure barefoot patrons will not encounter undesirable hazards (spills, glass, debris, etc.) However, I believe most businesses (at least sizable ones) already spend enough resources into keeping their floors at an acceptable level of cleanliness for both the shod and the unshod.

    Otherwise, I think it's a pretty dumb misconception to assume bare feet will make floors more dirty than shod feet.

    Furthermore, how does this apply to dogs feet? I see enough dogs at Walmart and the Home Depot on a regular basis up here in Toronto, despite the "no dogs allowed" signs at the doors everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another ridiculous argument. Do they allow people in hiking/walking shoes in the library? Or any of those sport shoes that have ridged soles? You know how much dirt is carried in with those?

    Next, consider if a shod patron of the library steps into something really gross (like dog doo) and the same happens to a barefoot patron. One of them doesn't notice and walks in, tracking the poo inside. Which of the two do you think it's going to be? And don't tell me this can't happen, I can't imagine that someone has NEVER been in a situation where someone smelled something, and the shod all checked their shoes only to discover it at that time.

    And do they watch and make sure everyone wipes their feet? After another 'dirt' discussion, stood and watched for a bit at various entrances to see how many of the shod people wiped their feet when entering public buildings (an office, the grocery store). Very few make even the slightest shuffling motion on the door mat, no one stopped to actually give a real wipe. Far most walked straight on in! And yes, I do wipe my feet. If my comment sounds like almost a repeat of the handwashing-at-the-hospital, well I guess it is... as a barefooter, I am more aware of dirt and since I don't go barefoot out of disrespect or carelessness, I take *more* care than the average shod person not to spread that dirt around. I can't speak for all barefooters, no doubt there are some who go barefoot out of carelessness and laziness, but it's not the bare feet that are the problem. As my very simple and easy test showed, most shod are extremely careless about the dirt *they* track in, yet no one seems to mind that.

    Tip for McNatt; do the same thing I did but write down the numbers, at the library and at a couple other random places in town, see how many the shod care to wipe their feet. The policy may not be overturned but at least this latest claim should be exposed as the unfounded bias it is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. All I can say is this, I've never tracked as much junk inside as when I'm wearing my dog park boots. Feet don't have tread to get mulch stuck in, so you can't track as much inside...

    ReplyDelete
  4. (hey, what happened to my comment I left yesterday? Maybe I wasn't awake yet and left it in the wrong place?)

    I think this is silly, while the dirt on our feet may look darker and worse than the dirt left on smooth-soled shoes, I wonder if anyone has asked the library if they allow people with hiking boots or just any sports shoes with deep ridges in the sole? With those shoes it's very easy to carry in a lot of dirt, I think smooth soled footwear should be required to curb cleaning costs... Not to mention dog poo. I'm sure most people have been in a situation where a shod person had stepped in poo and not noticed before tracking it inside. Won't happen to one of us.

    Also, do they have anyone at the door to check if patrons wipe their feet? A previous time when 'tracking in dirt' came up, I stood and watched at a few public places and noted how many of the shod people wiped their feet. Or I should say, I watched how many of the shod *didn't* wipe their feet. Few even made slight shuffle while stepping on the door mat, NONE stopped or slowed for a real wipe. The great majority walked straight on in. For the record; I do wipe my bare soles.

    If this last bit sounds similar to the post I made a few days ago about being the only one (non-staff) to wash my hands at the hospital, well yes it does... No doubt there are some barefooters who go barefoot out of carelessness and don't bother to wipe their feet or mind what they've stepped in, but on the whole, I think barefooters are *more* aware of germs and dirt and spread *less* of it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The soles of my feet do look dirtier after a run than the soles of a snicker. It's even more evident after running on asphalt. Dirt does seem to cling on the skin. Dog pooh aside, I think their claim may hold water.

    At home it's a different story. Being a "home barefooter" my whole life, the floor at home must be squeaky clean. I can feel every speck of dust the cleaning lady has left behind. In this case, I think that I mop the floors more frequently than people who wear shoes/sandals/flip-flops at their home.

    ReplyDelete

Related from LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails