Thursday, August 25, 2011

Injuries While Barefoot: The Elephant in the Room

Okay, everybody. Bring it back in for a minute. We need to talk candidly about something.

"Don't worry. Going barefoot is
VERY safe. I'm not going to
get hurt. Really."
For as much as many others and I promote the barefoot lifestyle and talk about how low-risk it is, a very real possibility is that we will actually get hurt because we're not wearing protective shoes. We can even get hurt wearing minimalist footwear when something might have protected us better. The general public believes that catastrophic injuries to bare feet are waiting in every aisle of every store and under every table of every restaurant. We know that's not true, but injury risks still exist. It sucks.

My intent is not to turn anyone off to the barefoot lifestyle. I think it's so beneficial and that most people can live better through it. But just as "stuff" happens to our heads in car crashes, our hands when working with power tools or any other countless scenarios, "stuff" can happen while we're barefoot that, unfortunately, is really, um, "stuffy."

Why am I bringing this up? "You shouldn't be talking about this!," you may say. And that's exactly the reason I am.

We can't be ashamed, as barefooters, that we might get hurt doing the very thing we promote to others. Just as with ANY injury to ANY part of our bodies, we must do the best we can to pick ourselves up, brush ourselves off and move on after a foot injury. We must also support those who've gone through such a thing by encouraging them to not shy away from what's best, overall, for their feet.

I had an extensive conversation on Twitter the other day with a woman by the handle of @QuotidianLight. We'll call her Q for the remainder of this post since I don't know her real name. Q shared with me about how she hurt her foot two years ago after falling off her chair at work and slamming her foot into her metal desk. It was just a freak accident, but she ended up with a neuroma that's been tough to get healed and still gives her pain today - so much, in fact, that she can't go barefoot. She was wearing Vibram Fivefingers at the time, but told me, "If I'd been wearing shoes at work that morning... I'd have ran THIS morning."

The main point she wanted to impress on me was that she felt isolated and alone because she believes barefooters never talk about injuries and just hold in guilt when we get injured.

She's right. It makes sense to keep that information to ourselves so that we don't have shoe promoters feeling validated in their assertion that going barefoot is dangerous. But it also doesn't help when barefooters never address the proverbial elephant in the room.

"It annoys me that people think NO ONE get's hurt barefooting and if you do it's your fault so people don't speak up," Q said. She continued later, "I just wish more people would be open about their injuries. *shrugs*"

I pledged to her that I'd write this post.

Getting a stress fracture while
running in Vibram Fivefingers
turned my barefoot world upside down
in January 2010.
She thanked me and concluded with, "I hate when people get hurt and give up barefoot entirely cause they feel out of options/support."

I've heard it numerous times. Someone loves going barefoot until they get hurt - whether it's a broken toe, bee sting, cut or something else. After that, they get nervous it'll happen again and they hardly go barefoot for the rest of their lives. I know of at least two people in my immediate family who feel this way. It's very real, and these folks need encouragement to go barefoot again.

So there's three points I'd like to make here:

First, we shouldn't ignore the fact that we can - and probably will - get hurt from going barefoot, but we also shouldn't feel ashamed if we do. Understand that your feet ARE more vulnerable when going without shoes or even just minimalist footwear. Resign yourself to the fact that freak things happen sometimes. No matter how an injury to your foot occurs, don't beat yourself up and don't feel guilty or embarrassed about what happened. Just as importantly, let the criticism of shod people roll off your back when they pitch I-told-you-sos in your direction.

Second, don't give up going barefoot because you do get hurt. Obviously, take care of yourself and do what you have to do to get better. Get medical attention to treat and resolve the problem. That may mean a hiatus from going barefoot, but most injuries can and will heal completely. After that's taken care of, remember that you can still confidently go without shoes again. Though risks still exist, the benefits from living barefoot outweigh the risks. Move on a little wiser for the experience. Seek out the support and advice those of us who also go barefoot so that we can encourage you.

Third and finally, support other barefooters who get hurt. Friends, if we find out that one of us has been injured from going barefoot, let's kill them with kindness and not criticism. We need to be wary of pointing fingers and assigning blame when none needs to be assigned or doing so wouldn't help anyway. We want barefooters to stay barefooters, and the only way to do that is to be friendly and understanding with one another.

In closing, both of my brothers used to ride motorcycles on a regular basis. They always had a mantra about the likelihood of having an accident. They'd tell me, "It's not a matter of if you're going to wreck, it's matter of WHEN you're going to wreck." Yet even when they did wreck, they'd fix the bike, heal their bodies and get right back on. Injuries, minor or major, are all but inevitable when going barefoot. It's the mindset we have that determines what we take away from it. In anything we do, we only fail if we give up. Will we let foot injuries isolate us and make us quit, or make us stronger and wiser when we keep going?

Thanks, Q, for your story and inspiring me to write this.

So, community, let's talk about injuries. Do you share Q's opinions? Should the barefoot community be more open and honest about injuries or keep them in the closet? How do we respond to the I-told-you-so remarks from our naysayers? Please leave your comments in the section below.

16 comments:

  1. I agree that there are more minor "injuries" around than barefooters readily admit, particularly thorns and tiny shards of glass. However such injuries do not happen many times per year, are of brief duration, and are far preferable to being shod! (It's amazing how the body purges foreign objects, all on it's own!)

    It must be wrong to suggest being barefoot significantly increases risk of major injury
    for the seasoned barefooter, except perhaps at home which is almost certainly the most dangerous place to go barefoot; dropped knives, missed larger bits of freshly broken glass, etc.

    I am sure many barefooters genuinely do go many years without injury, especially if they don't live in a run down area, and even in such places common sense goes a long way (eg: avoid long grass if you know it's likely to be full of broken glass or worse.)

    The occasional few hours of discomfort well worth paying for the years of liberty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post, a good reminder for us to be mindful of what is around us even then random things can happen out of our control.

    It is not only our actions that affect us both those around us, if it be family, friends or complete strangers they all effect our lives.

    Keep enjoying your foot freedom

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Andy 100%. Of course we want to be sympathetic when someone gets injured, but like Andy I've personally had no serious foot injuries and rarely have even minor ones (knock on wood). I think some people are just more injury prone than others. I had a student who ripped a toenail *every time* we went hiking; she finally gave up barefoot hiking completely. Regardless, we definitely want to encourage, not criticize.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have had two or three injuries including one that was quite painful in the last few days. I have continued going barefoot and will do so! It's the default position for me. Small price to pay for such a great and healthy pleasure!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great column! Yes, a sliver of glass now and then is real possibility for barefooters, but as others have noted, the long-term advantages of bare feet over habitual shoe-wearing are well worth the occasional mishap. I always try to remember that "shoes are tools," and it is a good idea to wear them if one is in a situation where he or she is not comfortable with going barefoot. That will be different for each individual, but the bottom line remains that the feet do better overall when they are given adequate time for barefoot locomotion.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Agree with being honest about injury. I'm nursing my most "serious" injury to date - a stone bruise at the point where my forefoot hits the ground. I've hit small, hard-to-see rocks before, but my feet typically adjust quickly without permanent effects. This time, it caused a lingering bruise.

    I'll be wearing my invisible shoe huaraches for longer periods during my runs, at least until I'm healed. I think that hitting a rock at this point again is inevitable.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, there is no problem talking about injuries. People get injured playing sports all the time. And they can't wait for the injury to heal so they can - well, go back to playing the same sport again. No one questions that, right? During the barefoot heyday of the 1970s people did get injured every so often, even in stores, but they shrugged it off as "I should have watched where I was stepping", and just put on a bandaid. On a side note, the medical staff at Woodstock in 1969 reported that the most common reason for treating concertgoers was not drug overdoses as many people would maybe think, but it was foot injuries, since a very large percentage of people there were barefoot. It was no big deal, and the world did not end, and no one sued anyone, at least not for that reason.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great article. I just posted an article on a similar topic. A warning for transitioning to quickly to minimalism. Injuries will happen to everyone at some point. The goal is to make them as infrequent as possible, shorten the down time from them, and speed up the recovery to get back to doing what you love. Here is my post.

    http://tao-fit.com/warning-about-transitioning-towards-minimalism

    Jesse James Retherford
    Licensed Massage Therapist, Fitness Coach, Barefoot Running Coach
    http://www.tao-fit.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Michael, I just want to address one issue here that you mentioned.

    Regarding the woman who had the neuroma. I've had a lot of experience with this condition, and kind of doubt that her being barefoot had anything directly to do with its development. Neuromas are almost always caused by the pressure of tight shoes over time. She probably had it all along without realizing it, but hitting the metal desk just aggravated it and made it more noticeable and painful.

    Neuromas normally don't just "heal." The only sure way to get rid of one is surgery. It's usually simple surgery that can be performed in a podiatrist's office.

    I know about these things because I've had 3 neuromas. That was back several years ago when I had to wear shoes all day, every day, for work (I'm retired now, so happily a full-time barefooter). On my first neuroma, the doctor first tried injecting it with steroids, but that did nothing for it. Then he gave me several options, including surgery, which I chose. He removed it, but later it grew back, since I went back to wearing shoes. He removed it again by surgery, and it never grew back after that. Then later, one developed in the other foot. I got that one surgically removed as well. About that time, I retired and was able to stop wearing shoes completely. So I've never had trouble with them again.

    Being barefoot relieves the pressure that causes or exacerbates the formation of a neuroma. It plays no roll that I can see in causing one.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good article.The only injury I've had was few years ago when I was running barefoot in the park. I was on the cemented jogging trail when the side of my foot hit a large bump that was on the trail. I fell and the side of my toe started bleeding. As soon as I got back to the car, I poured some water on it and when I got home, I treated it with some antibiotic and put a band-aid on it. The cut looked worse that it actually was. To this day, I still walk and jog barefoot at the same park but I'm more careful and I always keep a sharp eye on those trail bumps. Besides that, I've gotten a splinter and two ant bites on of my smaller toes. Despite this, I'm going to continue going barefoot because it makes me happy. This article just reminds us to be more careful as we enjoy the pleasures and joy of barefooting.

    ReplyDelete
  11. thank you for this! last summer was when i first started barefooting and within a short period of time got stung by bees twice in a park! i had to hobble home barefoot. after that i began avoiding grass then starting getting blisters trying to walk/jog barefoot on the sidewalk. it's been quite a process for me taking it very slow and finding the right surface!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would say that the article is pretty accurate. I recently did my first barefoot run, and I got a small cut on my toe. Nothing serious, but it gave me reason to question how I would handle a more serious injury. So I searched the barefoot sites & blogs, only to find nothing. If you never read anything outside the barefoot community, you'd never know that accidents are even possible.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I don't usually go out barefoot because I feel like I'm absorbing the dirt on the floor. Injuries might definitely occur if you don't protect your feet.

    foot doctor

    ReplyDelete
  15. Feet get hurt; with or without shoes. As a podiatrist who supports the barefoot lifestyle, I can attest. It shouldn't stop people from trying. Yes, I've seen many stress fractures from enthusiastic VFF patients, but I've also seen them in shod runners, military recruits, etc.
    Injuries happen--we injure our bare hands all the time, and if we want to go barefoot, we have to accept similar injuries happening to our feet.
    Please see a barefoot-friendly podiatrist before you begin minimalist or barefoot running/walking, just as its recommended for people to see their primary care doc before beginning an exercise regimen.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I agree, getting hurt is bad, but talking about it is cathartic and helps in the healing. In my blog, the most popular postings are when I show a picture of a foot injury...people are a little morbid and always kind of gravitate to a story about an injury...especially if they feel it's self induced by irresponsible activity. I agree with the author, and just let the criticism roll off my back. The benefits of barefooting far outweigh the risks.
    Barefoot Dan
    http://barefootdan.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Related from LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails