Monday, August 2, 2010

Active.com Readers' Sometimes-Ironic Comments on Barefoot Running

Active.com asked on their Facebook page, "How many of you have tried barefoot running?" As you may know, barefoot runners just like me believe it can lead to fewer injuries and greater enjoyment due to the mechanics of landing with a mid/fore-foot strike and the increased sensory awareness from having bare sole to the ground. But there's others that strongly feel the opposite: That barefoot activity can be nothing but harmful.

I couldn't help but notice some amazingly ironic (and sometimes humorous) comments left by Active.com's fans, however:

  • "I have enough injuries thank you."
  • "no no no i like my feet thank you"
  • "not barefoot but without socks !!! OUCH !!! and i got the pictures to prove it,couldnt run for about 2 weeks,i tried after 1 wk blisters would just open up!!! so i'll pass on the barefoot. lol"
  • "Tried it - loved it - been doing it since - oct 2009 - in Vibram Five Fingers"
  • "Can you say, plantar faciitis?"
  • "the last marathon I ran I saw a women running barefoot and she wasn't looking so good."
  • "I really wanted to be a "barefoot" runner in my Vibrams, but I keep getting blisters on my heels every time."
  • "Running in shoes tears up my pedicures enough! No thanks to the bare feet!"
  • "I know so many runners who get injuries from either running barefoot or in those horrid slippers with the toes. Modern man is not designed for this. Stick to what keeps you injury free and trotting down the road. Like good supportive shoes!!! Gimmicky fad shoes are not the answer to running issues."
  • "I did 6 miles years ago barefoot...Never again. No blisters but feet were red and hurt for a day or two."
  • "You bare foot runners are going to have some really bad backs in years to come ...."
  • "No it makes feet DISGUSTING"
  • "I have tried it and my feet were so sore. I figure running shoes were invented for a reason. We no longer get a "bonk" on the head with a frying pan before surgery, so I don't think we should revert back to running barefoot either."
  • "To you all who think God intended us to run barefoot? He also intended for us to run naked but that wouldn't go over very well either ;)"
And those were just a few from the first 170 or so comments! We in the barefoot community have a LONG way to go to dispel a lot of myths. But then again, there's lots of people out there who are very close-minded and will never hear of barefoot activity as long as they have feet.

What do you think of these comments? Have YOU tried barefoot running? Have you tried any kind of barefoot activity outside your home or the swimming pool? What do you think about the state of barefoot running in our culture? Is it a fad? Just another way for shoe companies to make a buck? Please sound off in the comments section below.

5 comments:

  1. Once again, EVERY SINGLE ONE of those people who commented like that need to have the weightlifting analogy DRILLED into their heads. If the most they ever lifted was 150 pounds, and they suddenly spent one afternoon trying to lift 300 pounds without success, would they then complain about how it's 'too hard', or that they got so hurt trying that - never again will I try to lift 300 pounds! That was painful! I pulled a muscle! Hurt my back! I got a hernia! No more weights for me, it' all BS, I will stick to push ups to get stronger.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes if you only do it 1 time you are going to hurt in places you haven't before, because you are using different muscles than you are used to during running. Keep at it and you will adapt to it. Modern running shoes are being shown to actually cause more injuries to runners. Don't forget the Tarahumara of Mexico who run hundreds of miles without running shoes, just sandals, and don't sustain injuries.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice article Michael :) Michael, I'm a member of the Barefoot Runners Society (www.barefootrunners.org) I think you might find some kindred spirits there. Or at least some goofy barefoot runners! Membership is by invitation only, so if you would like an invite, drop me an email to mikerives(at)gmail(dot)com. Take care and good running!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the one that says we were not made to run barefoot, and the one that says that being barefoot would ruin her pedicures. LOL. I feel like the smartest person alive when I read this stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Did the ones that tried running barefoot ease into it? That's what I did. I walked barefoot for a month so my feet could get used to the pavement and then I gradually ran. I'm three months into being a partime barefooter and I'm twelve miles a week barefoot. It's fun and I've gotten some looks but mostly I get smiles and Good Mornings. I think those in my area seem intrigued by it. Either that or they don't notice. Either way I love the fact that my posture improved, I have arches now, and my knee problems have gone away.

    ReplyDelete

Related from LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails