Friday, August 20, 2010

Dr. Scholl's Introduces Fast Flats

NOTE: My wife has posted her full review of these shoes.

Dr. Scholls, a company known for their wide range of foot products, has introduced a line of light, thin, rollable footwear for women called Fast Flats. In an video advertisement on their Facebook page, they promote the slippers as "flats in a flash" -- an option for women who are tired of wearing their heels. They reportedly go for $12.99 USD and are available at Walgreen's stores (and likely others, too, but Walgreen's tends to be barefoot friendly).

I've heard of footwear like this before, but they were distributed by vending machines in Europe. I've been hoping that a company here in the U.S. would release something like it, and it looks that time has come.

While I'm still a staunch proponent of people going barefoot first, there are times when minimal footwear is a better idea. This especially applies in situations like the workplace where shoes are often required. Fast Flats seem like they might fit the bill.

I'm going to buy a pair of these for my wife, Glenda. She likes to go barefoot, but is prone to wear some kind of footwear in public. I'd like to get her opinions on how well they fit, their durability and overall effectiveness as a minimal shoe option.

NOTE: My wife has posted her full review of these shoes.

It's disappointing that there's nothing like this for men. Here's hoping Dr. Scholl's or someone else comes up with something. For now, at least the better half of the population can get some relief from regular footwear.

What do you think of this product? Ladies, would you buy these? Please let me know in the comments section.

13 comments:

  1. I think you should contact Dr Scholl's and explain your situation to them - that you're a barefooter who runs a blog and has contact with many other barefooters - and see if they'll give you some for free in return for a review.

    I would definitely be willing to test and review a pair. I've been stuck in sneakers since I started riding my bike because the pedals are very poky and hurt my feet :( I'd love to see if these worked better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should check out the Footzyrolls that Dr Sholls copied. Two sisters started the company and Dr. Sholls felt the need to rip them off. They should be ashamed. I'm sure if you contact Footzyrolls they will give you a sample! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would definitely wear these if they were comfortable. Since becoming more used to my Vibram FiveFinger shoes, my gait has even changed and I prefer as little as possible between me and the ground. These are cute and more appropriate for nicer evenings out where the Vibrams just don't cut it. I've noticed that flats are definitely in fashion (I'm a high school teacher), but most flat sandals are still quite stiff in the sole. These look nice and flexible.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would like to try on these pairs of fast flats! I am pretty sure that they are very comfortable.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I saw them in walmart for 10 dollars, and slipped them on to try.. I normally wear a size 8 and i have a wide foot.. i found them tight across the top of my foot and narrow in the sole.. so I did not buy them

    ReplyDelete
  6. >> It's disappointing that there's nothing like this for men.

    Well, I'm a guy but I have small feet, so I bought some (removed the girly bow motif).

    For what they are they (around $10) they're really not that bad, there's very little padding, so I'd say it keeps in the spirit of things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi iam a guy, i love wearing women shoes, especially ballet flats, pointe shoes and rythmic gym slippers. i wear fast flats at home with my leggings. super comfy. my wife and her parents don't mind at all. been doing that for 20 years now. i wear size 10. as you have said very little padding great indoor shoe , not intended for outdoors.

      Delete
  7. I have them and I love them! I looked at citislips and footzyrolls but the price point for fast flats was lower and I could get them locally. My usual 'barefoot' shoe is a Tandy leather moc. In comparison the fast flats are better on wet ground, thinner and cooler overall, affordable, and totally adorable vs my kinda clunky mocs. As far as durability, I've been wearing theses non stop for a week now and they are just starting to show some wear under the big toe. For such a thin, flexible sole, I'm impressed! The sole itself is much more flexible than vibram material or any pair of house slippers I've owned! I don't get to wear my mocs this frequently because I don't like taking them out in the rain. The sole is more narrow than a regular shoe, almost like a ballet slipper but that doesn't seem to be too narrow for my foot. I'm getting much more nearly-barefoot time in the flats. Accordingly, I'm feeling my legs and ankles a lot more this week (which I think is a good thing, my muscles are relearning to walk!) and my plantar faciitis is finally going away! That was my goal when switching to mocs a few months ago, but the inability to wear them out in bad weather made me switch back and forth, which seems to have delayed any progress.

    So, good price point, locally available, more durable than I expected and better on wet ground than leather. My only beef is probably the sizing. I wear a 7 or a 7.5 so I grabbed a 7-8 and they are about an inch too long in the heel. The elastic still holds them on, but they tend to slip off my heel more easily than I'd like. I may grab the 5-6 size and see if that works better!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Can you put these in the wash or must you wash them by hand?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fast Flats is a true RIP-OFF by Scholls. They are a copy of the old JIFFIES. Just as many others are a copy of JIFFIES. And no decent woman would be seen dead in JIFFIES.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I bought a pair for my daughter's wedding. Went from heels to flats in two seconds. Love em. Not a lot of support, just a thin layer of material but oh so cool for the office.

    ReplyDelete
  11. any women out there would u buy a pair for your man to wear at home?

    ReplyDelete

Related from LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails