Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Shoot the Glass!: Is 'Die Hard' Partially to Blame?

I just had a fleeting thought and wanted to write a quick post about it. It boggles my imagination that people think that there's SO MUCH broken glass around that threatens anyone that dare go barefoot. Why is this? Honestly, if people just stop and think for just a moment, they'll realize that this isn't true. But then I got to thinking about one of the most popular action movies of all time.

In 1988's Die Hard, John McClane (played by Bruce Willis) saves the Nakatomi building and all its hostages while totally barefoot. He'd taken his shoes off to release stress by making "fists with his toes," and by the time he realized that major (expletive) was going down, it was too late to go back for footwear.

In the film, he cuts his feet up something fierce. He has to when the bad guys shoot up an office area full of glass partitions in order to intentionally cause harm to him. It's an incredibly memorable part of the movie.

Maybe too memorable.

Has society's fear of stepping on broken glass developed partially from a fictional action story? Do people have an unconscious fear of broken glass in part from this famous flick? What say you, Mr. McClane?

"How is this MY fault?"

4 comments:

  1. I run in a mix of areas and unfortunately I do encounter a lot of broken glass in places. Like you're saying though this is generally the exception and not the rule. It also doesn't make me want to strap back on a pair of regular shoes and I will stick with my VFFs. I think people also take for granted how oblivious you allow yourself to be when plodding around in regular shoes because they feel protected. Once you take them off you become acutely more aware of just where you are putting your feet.

    --Kris

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree with you, regarding glass. I can count the number of times I've come across broken glass in the past summer on one hand. It just doesn't happen very often, and if you pay attention to where you're walking, it's almost always trivial to get by or around it.

    As for the scene in Die Hard, it actually always bothered me a little. . . with 5 seconds of thought, there were a number of things he could have done to greatly reduce (or remove) the injury from the glass. Heck, just wrapping his feet with his shirt would probably prevent any glass cuts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I rarely ever see glass. The only place I have ever saw it, is in a public park where people go to at night to drink booze and then bust the bottles in the parking lot. As far as sidewalks, never. I have never saw glass in any business I frequent. The whole idea of broken glass is stupid. People who walk shod don't know this because they never look down!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love DIEHARD!! Bruce Willis has such beautiful feet. I especially enjoyed watching his dirty soles crawling thru the elevator shaft. DAMN he was so hot back then!

    ReplyDelete

Related from LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails