Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Terra Plana Shows Off VivoBarefoot 'Ultra' and 'Achilles' Lines for 2011 Release

UK-based shoe maker Terra Plana is beginning to show off what it has in store for it's Vivo Barefoot brand of footwear in 2011. Park City Television, an independent broadcaster in Utah, interviewed Terra Plana head designer Asher Clark in August at the Outdoor Retailer summer expo held in Salt Lake City. He showed off two previously-unseen lines of Vivo Barefoot footwear: the Ultra, a vented shoe that looks like the love child of the company's Evo and a Crocs sandal and the Achilles, a sandal that looks like Terra Plana's Dopie sandal with some covering and a reconfigured strap.

The Ultra

Though not intended for release until sometime in 2011, FitnessFootwear.com actually has a listing for this model. Their posted description: "The Vivo Barefoot Ultra is the first fully molded, amphibious, barefoot running shoe.With functional plug-in tongue and laces for maximum fit and performance, the Vivobarefoot Ultra is lightest amphibious barefoot running product on the market. Made with eco friendly EVA, the Ultra is ideal for beach side runs or splashing through trail streams."

As I mentioned earlier, the Ultra looks like an Evo made of the same material as Crocs sandals. Clark said of the shoe, "It's just impossibly lightweight" and "a great and legitimate running shoe in it's own right," but that it's also good for activities around the water because it easily lets water in and out. A laced shoe, the Ultra is also somewhat convertible. The wearer can choose to don it by itself or also with either a removable tongue or mesh "sock" (pictured above) with puncture-resistant sole.

Clark announced no pricing for the Ultra, but Fitness Footwear's listing had it listed for £59.95, roughly $95 USD. There was also no word on color options that will be available. While Clark showed off a white model, it's reasonable to assume that multiple colors will be available at release.

The Achilles

The Vivo Barefoot Achilles will be replacing the Dopie sandal in North and South America in 2011 according to email correspondence I've had with Terra Plana's Sabra Ellingson. She pointed out that because the Dopie isn't on the Vivo Barefoot sole and has some arch support, they wanted to "do better" at making a minimalist sandal. Enter the Achilles.

The Achilles shares the same unique split-toe characteristic of the Dopie, but the similarities pretty much end there. Clark mentioned it's made out of a "fully molded" soft-compound TPA material, but it appears that the sandal also has an inner sole made out of Terra Plana's infamous puncture-resistant material for greater protection. It has a few new design characteristics as well as new compounds. As you can see from the photo, there is material that comes over the top of the foot similar to the way a flip flop's straps would, but it remains to be seen how that translates into the feel or function of the sandal. A unique strap looks like it loops through either side of the Achilles before going over the top of the foot and around the back of the heel.

Clark said the Achilles is inspired by the "Tarahumara running sandal" but brings it into the 21st century. The strap, according to Clark, "locks your foot in place" for more effective running.

There was no mention of a price for the Achilles and I was unable to find any online retailer that had it listed as of this posting.

Now, the video (discussion of the Ultra and Achilles begins at about 1:45):


Conclusion

The Ultra and Achilles look like interesting new products for the Vivo Barefoot line in 2011. While they seem more than adequate for just "kicking around" in them, I'm curious to see how they hold up with running. More importantly, I'd be curious to get other runners' reactions to how the models treat their feet over long distances. It would be nice if the Achilles was a little more "minimal" than they appear to be, but I fully understand that Terra Plana would design the sandals for a wider audience than just the die-hard barefooters like myself.

I *should* be getting a pair of Achilles to review when they're released. If I do, I'll be sure to let you know what I think.

What do you think of these new models from Terra Plana's Vivo Barefoot line? Would you be interested in wearing them? Do you think they are "minimalist" enough to be an adequate shoe for barefooters? Please let me know in the comments below.

8 comments:

  1. I like the Ultra one over Achilles because it looks similar to Vivo, which I'm currently using now for jogging. Well, can't wait to get the new model once it will come out. I'll check out on pErsonalizeyourownvivo and ask how much they are going to charge to personalize new model like Ultra.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just got our first shipment of Terra Plana in and are so excited by them, fantastic eco values, sustainability and comfort, value even down to the branding and design. I read your article and everyone who buys and sells TP seems almost proud of them. Great stuff and thanks for the read and inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  3. After wearing EVOs for the past few months and planning on an Aqueous purchase in a couple of days I will probably get both the Ultra and Achilles BUT only when they are available in black.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sold on the Ultra. The EVO isn't as breathable as I'd like. The Ultra looks like it would be perfect. I would also prefer it in a color other than white.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just ordered a pair of Ultras through onlineshoes.com. They also sell the EVO. Through 5/30/11, you can save 20% with code: 1SUN.

    Has anyone tried these shoes while kayaking or boating? I'm excited to try them in and around the water.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I now own and have run in both Ultras and Achilles (I got the latter from Zappos). I now prefer the Ultras to the Evos (I ran the Miami ING Marathon in my Evos), as they feel very similar but the Ultras are lighter and cooler (temperature wise, I mean). Still not sure on the Achilles but I'll be doing a six-mile road run in them this weekend and I'm looking forward to it. So far, I've only done a mile and they felt good. Still, my "go to" runner is a pair of Vibram Bikilas.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A follow-up from the above note. I completed a 5 mile run in my new Vivobarefoot Achilles and while they felt great on the run, I tore up the skin between my big toe and the one next to it because of the "flip flop" toe divider. I'm sure that my feet would get used to this over time but I would caution this in case you, like me, don't wear flip flops with regularity. I'll stick with the Vivobarefoot Ulltras and Bikilas for most of my running needs for now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The price is a little steep, but I would definitely try them out. I know they'd be alot better than the shoes I have now. Hopefully they come in my size.

    ReplyDelete

Related from LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails