Wednesday, June 24, 2009

"Don't Tread (Shod) on Me!"

I've noticed an interesting thing since I started going barefoot on a regular basis. I really, really don't like walking on grass with footwear. It's really strange, treading through a lawn with anything other than totally bare feet feels wrong. It feels destructive. It feels like I am wronging the earth.

Don't get me wrong: I am no "tree hugging hippie," but I do feel a sense of connection with nature when I go barefoot. As my organic feet touch the organic ground below me, it is as if the grass and I have a happy little exchange of energy. It's not anything I would have ever expected.

I always looked at grass before as, well, grass. It was a sea of greenness that had to be mowed every once and a while. The most elegant description I'd probably be able to muster was to call it "nature's shag carpet." But then what do most people think of shag carpet?

Now I see grass as a living thing. Like the trees, flowers and animals of the earth, grass is God's creation and part of our ecosystem. It is another form of a plant.

I could no sooner walk shod on grass as I could on roses, a dog or my children. It no longer feels okay to do. Any shoes or sandals separate me from a connection with that energy and trample down on a living thing using an inorganic, man-made thing.

So, what is your relationship with grass? (the green, lawn kind) :-)

2 comments:

  1. I walked barefoot on grass this weekend for the first time in a long, long time. It was delightful. I felt like the grass was scrubbing my feet, and I've had a craving to do it again ever since. Too bad grass is so hard to come by in my area.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great to hear you enjoyed it so much! Here's hoping you find other opportunities to do it again soon.

    ReplyDelete

Related from LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails