Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Why I Flip the Flops

When I've talked with friends about the fact that I go barefoot pretty much everywhere when I'm not at work, one response I often get is, "flip flops are close enough to barefoot for me."

While I often use flip flops as my "backup" footwear if necessary, I feel they have a few fundamental flaws that make me inclined not to wear them on a regular basis.

1. I can't stand the flopping!
You know what I'm talking about. Every time you release a step from the ground the sandal "flops" against your heel, hence the name. Well it really bugs me! I don't know why, but it's probably related to hearing myself walk. I also get annoyed by the clicking of my dress shoe heels on the floor, the sound of pant cuffs rubbing on the ground and even the clicking of the crutches after my knee surgery a few years ago.

Barefoot, my feet are silent.

2. Crazy gait.
If you ever analyze what the foot does when walking in flip flops, you'd be amazed. Those sandals completely change the way we naturally walk in order to keep them on our feet. We land on our heels -- which we really shouldn't do -- and curl our toes with each step to ensure the flops don't go flippin' away. It's completely unnatural and it really bugs me.

Barefoot, my gait is natural and perfect.

3. My own insecurity.
When walking around in them, flip flops make me feel a little nervous. Unlike shoes, flip flops are only secured to our feet by a three-point strap at the front of the sandal. Our heels are free to move from side to side. Walking on anything other than flat, level terrain, I always perceive a sense of insecurity because I know my foot and ankle could go one way and my sandal could go another. Eventually, it could cause toe pain and even a twisted ankle. Not good.

Barefoot, I feel much more secure and safe because I am directly connected to the surface on which I'm walking.

2 comments:

  1. Great logo - you should make a t-shirt with that logo and wear it while going barefoot. People will definitely give it a double take. And if anyone asks, tell them flip flops are way too conformist, and have become too cliche, and you are trying to be "retro".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well sorry about how late it is to post here, just discovered your site :-)

    As a newly convert to barefoot-ish running but not to barefoot walking which I have done since teenage (I'm 26), I can't help advising to try huaraches for times when it gets too cold / risky to walk / run barefoot. Or just when you don't want people staring --alright maybe that's the newly convert speaking here.

    I've made my custom ones with a nice thin pro rubber sheet now, but my first take was on an old pair of havaianas, and they work great, eliminating all the flopping that annoys you --and kinda did me, only less.
    Just cut off the binding thingies, you get a huarache sole with holes in the right place.
    With only paracord added, your flip-flips get nicer to walk with, given the soles really stick to your feet, hence no stress on your toes and no fear to see them going one way and your heel the other. You get your normal gait back.

    The reason I made my own afterwards was because of the heel rise, and the general width which was really too much.
    But this is really easy to do, and fun too.

    ReplyDelete

Related from LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails