Thursday, June 18, 2009

Hey Barefooters: Two Words for You

Be cool.

I'm just as happy about going barefoot as you are. I LOVE the feel of my toes on the ground below me, sensing the differences in texture and temperature, blah blah blah.

But...

I don't flaunt my feet while in public. I might do it on Twitter or Facebook or even here. While I'm in public, however, I realize that most people aren't totally okay with going barefoot or me being barefoot. Many people think bare feet are incredibly gross -- I know, because I read their tweets on Twitter's search EVERY DAY. Therefore, I do try to keep things on the down low.

In public, I don't pick at my toes. I don't smell my feet. I try not to expose my dirty sole too much. I don't put my feet up on furniture next to shod people. I try to avoid behaviors that would make people tweet:

"I hate feet and the strange girl next to me thinks its ok to have her bare feet next to me. She is stratching her toes and smelling them!!!"

Oh boy. Just...take it easy out there, okay?

I'm not ashamed. That's not what this is about. It's about courtesy. And if we barefooters want the shod to be cool with us being unshod, we need to ease them into it.

Be cool. Be unshod. But be kind, too.

1 comment:

  1. Amen Michael! I think it's important for us barefooters to be considerate to others; the way we expect others to understand and be considerate to us. I'll have to look for you on facebook too!

    Cheers from Toronto,

    Moe

    ReplyDelete

Related from LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails