Monday, September 14, 2009

Footwear Required at CVS Pharmacies

CVS, a leading national pharmacy and retailer in the United States, apparently has a policy prohibiting bare feet in their stores. A portion of small signage at store entrances indicates that "footwear" is required inside. This sign also indicates that shirts are required and that smoking and non-service animals are prohibited.

What I found interesting is that I had to look pretty closely to find this sign because it is so small. The entire
sign that contains all of these policies can't be more than
one foot tall and a eight inches wide. I don't know if this same sign is used company wide, but this one surely was easy to miss. I had to look among all of CVS' various signs about their money-saving programs, sales, etc. to find it. It even became more difficult to read when the sliding glass door in this store opened and the door's frame blocked the sign.

No claims regarding health or safety concerns are made in requesting that shoppers wear shoes or shirts. It is worth noting, however, that any business has the right to make limitations and requests regarding the conduct or appearance of its patrons.

For the sake of fully informing Barefoot and Grounded readers, I have been barefoot into Walgreen's stores, a CVS competitor. Neither of the two Walgreen's that I've visited barefoot have signage at entrances indicating that shoes are required and/or bare feet are prohibited. Incidentally, I also have never been approached by a Walgreen's associate about my bare feet.

This information is shared for the sole purpose of assisting Barefoot and Grounded readers in making their own decisions about where to take their business. The author makes no claim to the quality of products or services of CVS or Walgreen's and neither encourages nor discourages the reader to shop at these establishments. For more information about CVS or Walgreen's policies, the author recommends the reader contact their local store and/or corporate headquarters.

8 comments:

  1. Yes, it is within their rights. But that doesn't mean it is a smart or fair-minded policy. The signage re-enforces a myth that leads to a lot of unnecessary physical discomfort and unwarranted social stigma for people who simply feel better when they walk barefoot.

    Maybe CVS wouldn't be filling as many anti-depressant prescriptions if people who like going barefoot were permitted to shop there without shoes. That's a joke, but it just may be a joke with a grain of truth in the punchline.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, CVS has a standard sign like that, and in many places it has another line - "by order of dept of health", which, of course, is not true anywhere in the US. But those standard signs are stuck on all their stores, and do not appear to be enforced - I have gone to many CVS stores barefoot and no one ever said anything to me. Usually chain stores with such a sign that is mass produced seldom seem to enforce it, from what I have found. (Except for Whole Foods - the worst hypocrites you can imagine. More people get kicked out of there than anywhere else.)The ones that really mean it are when they hand write or print their own custom sign - really big - on the door. But even then, it depends on who is working there at any given time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too have shopped barefoot at many Walgreens. The one nearest my house, I go barefoot in at least twice a week. I've been seen by most of the staff, including the manager, who has actually obviously glanced at my feet, and nobody has ever said a thing.

    Also, I often get those survey offers on my receipts, and in the verbatim section, I mention every single time that part of why I'm a loyal Walgreens customer is because they allow me to shop barefoot. Hopefully they get the message and stay friendly!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, just looking around some blogs, seems a pretty nice platform you are using. I'm currently using Wordpress for a few of my sites but looking to change one of them over to a platform similar to yours as a trial run. Anything in particular you would recommend about it? Replica Watches

    ReplyDelete
  5. "... Also, I often get those survey offers on my receipts, and in the verbatim section, I mention every single time that part of why I'm a loyal Walgreens customer is because they allow me to shop barefoot. ..."

    Good for you! I think it's great that we're able to let companies know that we appreciate being able to shop barefoot, instead of only complaining to the ones that don't let us.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was just barefoot in Walgreens the other day. I am one of those timid barefoot-ers - a home, car, my office and post-office I'll be barefoot but have been too timid to do it in stores. I guess my thinking, right or not, is the store can make whatever policy it wants even if it is stupid and I just don't want a confrontation. I was tired last night, needed my medicine and some toothpaste and just didn't feel like putting on my Tevas. No one said anything, and I was in the store quite a while since I swear they hid the toothpaste aisle on me just because I was tired and barefoot.

    I think I will fill out that survey like the other commentators did. Thanks for your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I HATE SHOES!!!! And I go shopping everywhere barefoot. Our Walgreens just remodeled. I was happy to let my bare feet on the new tile. Feels good too. And sometimes one of the girls that works there who hates shoes too will be barefoot too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think it is so FUCKIN' WRONG to tell someone they have to wear shoes. If someones HATES SHOES. Like me. Let them go barefoot. And believe me. If i step on something due to my going barefoot. I am NOT going to blame the store for something. I HATE shoes and I am PROUD of that too

    ReplyDelete

Related from LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails