Saturday, September 19, 2009

The Barefoot Code of Conduct

Going barefoot goes against the grain of a lot of society's thinking. Having followed a Twitter search on the subject for a number of months now, I can tell you that many people find the idea of going barefoot to be gross, if not repulsive. Seeing someone barefoot in a store or with their bare feet up on the dashboard of a vehicle is enough to make some folks tweet very negative things and use some very harsh language.

Since I began going barefoot, I've developed my own unofficial "Code of Conduct." It's my own guidelines of how I will act and present myself when going barefoot. It helps me to be comfortable going unshod and assists with the "mental comfort" of others. Your own code of conduct may vary:

The Barefoot Code of Conduct: Michael Edition

I Will:
  • Go barefoot on my own property whenever practical and generally safe.
  • Go barefoot to public places whenever comfortable, practical, generally safe and not prohibited by posted policy or signage.
  • Wear minimalist footwear, whenever practical, to places where bare feet are prohibited by policy or signage.
  • Walk barefoot on grass or other natural ground coverings whenever possible.
  • Drive barefoot whenever practical and convenient.
  • Keep "backup" footwear in my vehicle or closer when visiting public places barefoot.
  • Keep "backup" footwear in the immediate area whenever I drive barefoot.
  • Keep baby wipes accessible in case they are needed to clean my feet of significant dirt.
  • Wipe my feet of minor particles on grass, pavement or ground mat prior to entering a home or business.
  • Clean (using baby wipes) my feet of significant dirt before entering a home or business.
  • Kindly and courteously discuss the benefits and dispel the myths of going barefoot if challenged or questioned by other persons.
  • Encourage others to explore the benefits of barefooting.
I Will NOT:
  • Go barefoot into someone's home if they request that I wear footwear.
  • Go barefoot into a public place if posted policy or signage prohibits bare feet or requests footwear.
  • Go barefoot if doing so would put my feet at high risk of injury.
  • Walk shod on grass or ground coverings if other paved or stone walkways are reasonably available to get to my destination.
  • Continue to go barefoot in a public place if law enforcement or other authority demands I put on footwear.
  • Argue the benefits of barefooting to the point of disturbing the public peace or putting myself, family or friends around me at risk of being expelled from a public place or arrested by law enforcement.
  • Go to bed at night prior to wiping or cleaning my feet of minor or significant particles or dirt.

Please note that "public places" refers to any outdoor or indoor area where the general public is invited or accepted to gather and/or do business. This policy is subject to future change as necessary and I welcome your feedback in the comments section below.

2 comments:

  1. This is a great list - it's very good common sense (and courtesy), and some nice tips for me as I'm starting to spend more time barefoot. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I pretty much follow the same "code of conduct." As for cleanlieness, a nice welcome mat with lots of sturdy bristles is a good thing to have at the front door after doing a lot of outdoor barefooting.

    As far as the people who think bare feet are gross, I won't go out of my way to prop my feet up on the dash or anything like that when they are around, but unless it's their property and they tell me they want me to wear shoes, I am not going to sumbit to someone else's irrational dislike of bare feet just to help them maintain their comfort zone.

    I think some people are kind of brought up not to like feet, not to appreciate them, to hide them and always buy "good shoes" to take care of them rather than simply let feet enjoy being feet through barefoot outings. There seems to be an inevitable association with poverty in some people's minds as well. How odd it must seem to people coming out of this shoe-wearing background that someone would actually prefer to go barefoot! I sometimes try to educate others about the benefits, or at least put them at ease that I am not in any imminent danger, but not if I am picking up that they don't want to hear it.

    As a rule, I generally don't prop my feet up or cross my legs much in public for this very reason - some people get really a freaked out by a bare sole that has been walking outdoors. I would guess this is a relatively new phenomenon, one that coincides with the proliferation of cradle-to-grave footwear in industrialized societies.

    BTW, I think a "Please keep feet and shoes off seats" rule is much more sensible than a blanket "no bare feet" rule.

    Thanks for sharing your "code" with us, Michael, and thanks for the opportunity to comment.

    ReplyDelete

Related from LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails