Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Injured Achilles/Ankle and Upcoming 5K

I've decided to pursue medical attention for my left ankle ahead of my scheduled 5K on Jan. 31. If the doc says to not run the race, I won't.

I hurt my ankle last week on what ended up being a pretty good run. Afterward it started hurting from what I thought was pressure caused by my Vibram Fivefinger shoes, and I took a couple days off. The big mistake was to go out and run again on Saturday and push myself too hard while still in pain.

At this point I'm almost totally certain that I have, at a minimum, achilles tendinitis in my ankle from overuse/overtraining. I'm beginning to wonder if the persistent swelling and pain is an indication that I could have a partial achilles tear as well.

It KILLS me to potentially give up racing my first 5K on Jan. 31, but it's appropriate for a medical pro to look further into the problem and determine whether or not my ankle will be able to tolerate it. Better to take it easy and recover than potentially make it worse.

If you're a person of faith, please keep me in your prayers, thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related from LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails