Thursday, January 28, 2010

My Achilles Heel: A Quacked Calcaneus?

Interesting things have occurred since last I spoke to you about my ankle. You might recall from my Jan. 22 post that I was diagnosed with Achilles Tendinitis. I wore a cast boot, did heat therapy and took an anti-inflammatory drug for a week in the hopes that it would clear up. If I did, in fact, have Achilles Tendinitis, I believe that it cleared up.

But there's still pain in my ankle that has lingered. More specifically, when you squeeze in particular spots on the sides of my heel it triggers hearty amounts of pain. Now, the X-ray I'd gotten didn't show anything, so my sports medicine doctor wisely decided to send me for an MRI. Magnetic resonance imaging, in case you don't know, is a very sensitive series of pictures of the body's internals. It can show many things that X-rays can't, like the condition I now think I probably have. He wanted to see what exactly is going on in there, but didn't make any assertions as to what the problem really could be.

One thing he DID do, however, is clear me to run in the 5K I'd been planning on for this Sunday. He said, "It's only a 5K. It's not like you're running a marathon. Go for it." Now, while that might seem insulting to some readers, I took no offense and realized that he meant that the relatively-short 3.1 mile race could do very little extra harm to my heel/ankle.

So I left his office with just as many questions as answers. What would the MRI show? What if the MRI showed something bad enough that I really CAN'T run the 5K? If the issue isn't Achilles Tendinitis, what could it possibly be?

After getting the MRI done last night, being given a CD of the images and surfing the interwebs for pictures of heels and MRIs, I've used my junior radiologist deduction techniques to make a prediction of what is wrong with my ankle. It's all I can do until the radiologist gives his/her report to my doc. So I can't be sure until 8 a.m. tomorrow morning when I have a followup, but a guy can still make an educated guess, can't he?

And boy, what an educated guess this is. I'd like to think I'm a smart guy. I am kind of "techie" by trade and actually work in a hospital, so I am sure of two things about reading medical imaging: 1) MRIs are REALLY cool and really detailed in what they show & 2) Medical films are REALLY hard to read. That said...

Based on my continuing symptoms and MRI, I think it is highly likely that I have a stress fracture in my calcaneus (heel) bone. After looking at the MRI images of my ankle/heel and comparing them to images readily available via a simple Google image search, I believe there are striking similarities between them. Check it out below. On the left you see an image I found on the Radsource Web site. It shows an T2-weighted MRI of a calcaneus with a stress fracture (indicated by the white arrow). On the right, I have displayed an almost exact T2-weighted image of my calcaneus with what I believe is a stress fracture (indicated by the yellow arrow).

(Click image for larger version)

There's other evidence in my set of MRI images that lead me to believe I have a stress fracture, but the similarities between the two indicated parts of the images above cannot be ignored. Heck, the dark line in my heel (on the right) even curves in a very similar way to the fracture in the left photo.

So, where does that leave me? It leaves me waiting to see my doctor tomorrow morning to find out what's REALLY going on. I also have to wonder what kind of treatment and limitations I might have in the near future. Most articles about calcaneal stress fractures indicate that a standard treatment is a lot of rest for up to 8 weeks. That may even include a cast and no weight bearing for that period.

If I do have a stress fracture and I have to wear some kind of cast or cast boot, I'd need to work with my doc to see if it'd be acceptable to do some walking in order to fulfill my job responsibilities. As someone who typically walks about 11,000 steps a day at work -- and who only has about 1 1/2 weeks of sick time accrued -- I would really need to find workarounds so I can heal but still work. I've thought about proposing using a rented scooter to motor around my workplace and then park it when I get to whatever room I need to work in. When finished at a particular location, I could scoot away to somewhere else. Minimal walking while the job still gets done. It's worth a shot.

And the 5K? Well, if I really do have a stress fracture I doubt the good doctor would still be okay with me running it. After all, it might have been running that caused the problem in the first place.

But hey, I suppose there's a possibility that I don't have a stress fracture. Maybe, even though the MRI looks ridiculously similar to other confirmed cases of stress fracture AND the fact that I have symptoms that are completely consistent with said condition, I don't actually have it. We'll see. But as I've told my wife and a few others today, "If it walks like a duck and it quacks like a duck...it's probably a stress fracture." Wait, what?

I'm planning an update to the blog tomorrow with the final news. To stay remotely on point with this blog, however, I will finish by saying that I have a feeling this is going to negatively affect my barefooting mojo...again. Hopefully, I'll be all better by the time warm weather comes around and it's prime barefooting season. I guess we'll see.

I welcome your comments below.

Detective image: http://mohsinali.name/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/detective.jpg
Scooter image: http://electricwheelchair-electricscooter.com

7 comments:

  1. The white blob just above the facture is what happened to me when I first "transitioned" to barefoot running. I put quotes around that because it was both too abrupt and poorly executed. It's hard to stay still long enough for these things to heal. Especially when you've just acquired an addiction to running.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry about your injury, Michael. The fracture, though isn't from a heel strike when you're wearing shoes during the day, though. It's likely due to the pull of your achilles tendon. As a barefoot runner who strikes on your midfoot, your achilles tendon is going to contract for a longer period of time during your running gait cycle.

    Furthermore, it's possible your calcaneus (heel bone) has been weakened by not striking. Bone is responsive to pressure(Wolff's law) and, the heel especially, builds up spongy bone inside to absorb shock and strengthen areas of pressure. Because you do not strike your heel during your runs since you began barefoot running, the bone could have resorbed in that area due to reduced impact, leaving it weaker and more susceptible to the pull of the Achilles.

    No matter how it started, be sure to visit with a sports podiatrist. The estimate of no running for 4 weeks is WAY too conservative. Bone healing requires 6-8 weeks for full strength and then a slow buildup back into running. Running on it too soon can cause a more severe fracture which can require surgery to repair.

    Again, sorry about your injury. Wear your boot and stay off of it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Michael,

    Man, that's unfortunate. I hope you have a speedy recovery.

    If the doc is right and you're not letting your heel touch the ground, that would cause extra stress on the achilles. When you get back at it, be sure to relax your ankles and let your heels touch the ground as heavily as the need to. So long as your feet are under your torso (instead of in front), go ahead and use the entire foot, including the heel, as a landing pad.

    A question for the doc -

    Can the calcaneus be weakened by lack of use even if one is heel-striking when walking? Especially if heel-striking in a minimalist shoe?

    barefootjosh.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am a short girl, and I am afraid of wearing replica day date watches seeing as long seeing as the summer comes. I am not confident at all because of my short legs. Later I find that actually short girls could also wear swiss replica watches at any time seeing as long seeing as they know the skills to complement their clothes, what’s more, they could also appear taller by proper matching ways.tag heuer|

    ReplyDelete
  5. My brother and I both started barefoot running at the same time. We ran 4 miles the first time out, followed by 5 then 6. Three weeks later, we were running sprints barefoot. Within one week of each other, we both had ankle swelling and pain when squeezing the calcaneous (heel) bone from the sides. The MRIs showed fractures identical to your images on both of us. The radiologist said it was an avulsion fracture to the top of the calcaneous where the achilles tendon attaches and was caused by excessive pulling on the achilles tendon. An MRI done 6 weeks later showed a healing (but not yet healed) calcaneous. At 8 weeks, the injury was only very slightly visible. (I'm an MRI Tech, so I was able to do limited frequent imaging). It took a FULL 8 weeks for me to feel comfortable running. I wish I would have eased into barefoot running gradually. This is my first injury in over 12 years of running. I wish I would have seen your post BEFORE I started barefoot running!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Plus replica watches sure are cool...no? Random sort of related topic...buy a product! Mumbles.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Most cases of Achilles tendinitis are due to overtraining, particularly heavy training during a short period of time.
    http://www.footcentersofnc.com/common-foot-problems/achilles-tendonitis.html

    ReplyDelete

Related from LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails