Monday, January 4, 2010

Report: 6th Annual Polar Barefoot Run

As a barefoot runner, how could I pass up my first opportunity to participate in Barefoot Rick Roeber's 6th Annual Polar Barefoot Run, held January 1 at a local park? The goal of the free event is to get people active in an interesting way for the new year and raise money for Free Wheelchair Mission, a charity that provides low-cost wheelchairs for the disabled poor throughout the world.

It was the coldest Polar Barefoot Run on record, with a temperature of around 11F/-12C degrees at the start. About 12 hardy souls showed up and had a good time socializing with each other. Most bared their soles, though it wasn't required.

Photo courtesy: Barefoot Rick Roeber

I was fine running unshod on the paved parking lot during the first half mile. I originally wanted to run a whole mile barefooted, but my feet chickened out once I hit the snowy second half of the course. They became completely painful and numb all at the same time. I couldn't even get my feet to go into my VFF Sprints (that I carried along just in case), but I managed to get out of the snow and return to my van to warm up the toes. Shortly after that, a local TV news photog showed up, and I managed to get the VFFs on to run a little in the snow so he could get some footage. Afterward we all warmed up with hot cocoa that Rick provided.

Overall, and despite the personal setback, I had a great time! It was nice to meet some other local runners and especially to finally meet Rick. We'd conversed some back and forth on Facebook but hadn't met in person until the run. He's a great guy and very devoted to the Lord. I look forward to conversing and running more with him in the future.

I also look forward to continuing to develop my ability to run barefooted even in snow and bitterly cold temperatures. The VFF Sprints are a good stop-gap, though. They cover my feet just enough to take the "bite" off, but still allow my feet to feel bare and move more naturally.

Here's to many more barefoot runs in the months and years to come! Happy New Year! I welcome your comments or questions below.

More on the Web: Barefoot Rick Roeber's run report
News coverage: Photos from The Kansas City Star

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related from LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails